OUR THEOLOGICAL VISION
Our theological vision is based on the Incarnation. We believe that God became human for us out of love. Following the example of St. Francis in his “Canticle of the Creatures,” we believe that all creation speaks to us of God because it was formed to reflect the face of Christ.
Our vision of Christ includes all creation in an embrace of mutuality, equality, and respect. We seek to foster a relationship of brother and sister to each other. Our theological tradition encourages us to emphasize the unique revelation of God in each person, in every culture and in all creatures, and fosters special concern for those on the margins of society and the Church.
The Franciscan School of Theology is committed to embodying Franciscan theology in a religiously and culturally diverse world. In our living, our learning, our relationships, and our community, we address both the head and the heart by integrating the pastoral and academic dimensions of theological study. We offer a multicultural Christian community in which to prepare for ministry.
The mission of the school is to prepare candidates for professional ministry in the Roman Catholic Church, for careers in theological education, and to provide opportunities for enhancing knowledge of Christian faith and the practice of ministry. We achieve our mission through the offerings listed below.
- Classroom lectures, seminars, and guided readings
- Workshops that enable students to communicate more effectively and conduct themselves professionally
- Methodologies for social analysis and theological reflection
- Supervised field education
- Faculty advising to help students plan and choose programs and courses, and reflect on their academic progress
- Support for faculty scholarship and professional development, research and publication
- Access to the University of San Diego’s graduate course offerings
- Access to both the FST library at Old Mission San Luis Rey and USD’s Copley Library
- Daily and weekly prayer
- Spiritual formation through formal programs, retreats, faith sharing groups and spiritual direction referrals
- Social justice activities
- Recreational and social activities